Canvas is the learning management system (LMS) that is used at the School of Nursing.
To prepare faculty for the semester, we have several options for in-person training, workshops, and a Canvas Course for New Instructors, an introductory course in all of Canvas' main features and functions.
Also, check out the Canvas Guides page for helpful tutorials and easy-to-use documentation. The documentation
When you start to build your course, be sure you use the tips and templates found in the SON Canvas Template course.
Best Practices for Canvas
You should consider adhering to the following best practices in Canvas:
- Hide all unused navigational links from the course menu.
- Run the Course Link Validator tool to check for broken links throughout the course.
- Activate Student View and check to make sure that all content shows up correctly for students.
- Properly title documents and external links throughout the course to ensure that they are self-describing and meaningful.
a FAQdiscussion board for students to post questions related to the course and course assignments.
- Check to make sure all modules, pages, assignments and discussion boards are published before the course is open.
New Rich Content Editor is here!
As of January 16th, 2021, the New Rich Content Editor in Canvas is live. This means that whenever you go to post or edit Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, or the Syllabus page in Canvas, the editing toolbar and window now has a new, streamlined look.
Some of the changes that have come with this includes a more condensed, streamlined menu and toolbar, a more intuitive way to link to pages, assignments, files, etc., drag and drop uploading, auto-save, and more!
You can find more details about the New Rich Content Editor here and watch an overview below:
We know you will love all of the great features available to you in the New Rich Content Editor! Contact CEIR with any questions.
Are you finding that your students are consistently struggling with certain aspects of Canvas? Check out the Canvas Student Quick Guides to see if it has been addressed and share this with your students. If you do not see that topic, reach out to your instructional developers to see how they can help!