The resources below discuss best practices for teaching and designing courses online.
Instructional Design Resources
- Nine Online Course Development Tips
- Nine Strategies to Spark Adult Students' Intrinsic Motivation
- Best Practice Online and Blended Course Design and Development Manual
- Components of Good Online Course Design
- How (not) to Design an Online Course
- Interactive Techniques- for working in pairs, in groups, using social media, or working online.
Teaching with Technology
- Putting the "Tech" into "Teach" - a PowerPoint presentation from the 2016 Faculty Development Day discussing how to teach with technology.
- Audio Reflection Assignment Help Students Develop Metacognitive Skills
- Engaging the Online Learner (PDF Book)- this book discusses activities and resources for creating creative instruction in an online environment.
- Online Teaching Guide - from Duke University School of Nursing - a " user-friendly and practical tool" to assist faculty in planning and implementing online courses.
- 10 Principles of Effective Online Teaching: Best Practices in Distance Education- an article from Faculty Focus that discussed the 10 principles of teaching online described by Dr. Lawrence Ragan at Penn State.
- Five Ways to Help Students Succeed in the Online Classroom
- Five Ways to Make Your Online Classroom More Interactive
- Adapting PowerPoint Lectures for Online Delivery: Best Practices
- Keeping Students Engaged in the Online Classroom
- Designing Effective Team Projects in Online Courses
- Using Think-Pair-Share in the College Classroom
- Frequent, Low-Stakes Grading: Assessment for Communication, Confidence
- Interactive Lectures- this resource from the Science Education Resource Center at Carleton College describes how to make lectures more interactive and provides some examples for doing so.
- Strategies for Teaching at a Distance
- What Makes a Successful Online Facilitator?
- Effective Online Teaching
- The Problem of Online Learner Dropout
- Web-Based Technologies for the Nurse Educator
- Video Conferencing Best Practices for Instructors
- Pause, Play, Repeat: Using Pause Procedure in Online Microlectures