MSN Admission Requirements
Per the regulations defining the amount of allowable online course credits, UTHealth is unable to sponsor MSN students requiring an F-1 visa.
Listed below are the minimum requirements for a student to be considered for MSN admission at UTHealth.
- A completed online application for admission and $60.00 non-refundable application fee due at the time of application submission.
- Official transcript from each institution attended. If you have attended UTHealth previously it is not necessary to request a transcript. Electronic submission of transcripts is preferred. All transcripts must be printed within six months of receipt. Transcript(s) should show:
- A Baccalaureate degree in nursing earned from an accredited program. Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A completed basic statistics course.
- Three (3) satisfactory academic/professional references. Supply individual references with an applicant letter of reference form (pdf).
- A course-by-course evaluation of international credentials by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for individuals with degrees/courses from outside the US.
- A professional curriculum vitae or resume (Submit via email to email@example.com or mail to the Office of the Registrar).
- Documentation (via resume or vitae) of minimum work experience for chosen track:
Track Experience Acute Care Nursing One year experience in critical care as a registered nurse Primary Care One year clinical experience as a registered nurse Family Nurse Practitioner One year clinical experience as a registered nurse Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner One year clinical experience as a psychiatric registered nurse
- An interview may be required of qualified applicants. All interviews are by invitation.
- Writing samples may be required at the time of an interview.
In order to more clearly reflect the Cizik School of Nursing's diversity within its educational environment, the School’s admission policy makes explicit the multiplicity of factors taken into consideration in the admissions process. These admission factors are not assigned a specific weight or point value. The School of Nursing considers the totality of each application and gives consideration to several factors.
Additional Requirements (if admitted into program):
Enrollment at Cizik School of Nursing is contingent upon successful completion of immunization screening; immigration status clearance; evidence of current Texas nursing licensure or for Post-Master’s applicants,evidence of nursing licensure in state of residence; documentation of BCLS, ACLS, or PALS certification; and clearance of the mandatory criminal background check and drug screening.
For more information contact:
Office of The Registrar
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
PO Box 20036
Houston, Texas 77225-0036
Essential Skills for Nursing
Nurses must be able to demonstrate cognitive skills in critical thinking and logical/analytical thinking. Nurses must also have psychomotor skills, including fine motor dexterity, physical strength, coordination, and proper body mechanics. Observational skills are also required, such as the ability to hear within the normal decibel range, the ability to read English in regular to extra-fine print, and the ability to palpate/auscultate.
- Admission Requirements
- BSN to DNP - Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Application Deadlines
- Deadlines (all programs)
- Admission Forms
- Recommendation Forms
- Academic Information
- Academic Catalog
- Catalog Addendum
- Current Semester Calendar
- Academic Success Center
- Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Tuition and Estimated Cost
- Financial Aid
- Specialized Programs for Nursing Students
- Residency Application