MSN Admission Requirements
Per the regulations defining the amount of allowable online course credits, UTHealth is unable to sponsor MSN students requiring an F-1 visa. Additionally, students admitted into the MSN program must personally reside in the state of Texas before the first day of class.
The following are the minimum requirements for MSN admission at UTHealth:
- A completed online application for admission and $60.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended. If you have previously attended the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) it is not necessary to request a transcript. Electronic submission of transcripts is preferred. Official transcripts may be sent sent directly from the institution previously attended electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. They will not be accepted emailed from the student. All transcripts must be printed within six months of receipt. Transcript(s) should show:
- A Baccalaureate degree in nursing earned from an accredited program. Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of the BSN program.
- A completed basic statistics course.
- Three (3) satisfactory academic/professional references. Supply individual references with an applicant letter of reference form.
- A course-by-course evaluation of international credentials by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for individuals with degrees/courses from outside the US.
- A professional curriculum vitae or resume (Submit via email to email@example.com or mail to the Office of the Registrar).
- Documentation (via resume or vitae) of minimum work experience for chosen track:
Now accepting applications to the BSN-DNP program all tracks. Track Experience Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program (ON HOLD) One year of ICU experience as a registered nurse Adult/Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Program (ON HOLD) One year clinical experience as a registered nurse Family Nurse Practitioner Program One year clinical experience as a registered nurse Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program (ON HOLD) One year clinical experience as a psychiatric registered nurse
- An interview may be required of qualified applicants. All interviews are by invitation.
- Writing samples may be required at the time of an interview.
All Admission documents must be sent to:
Office of The Registrar
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
PO Box 20036
Houston, Texas 77225-0036
Additional Requirements (if admitted into program):
Enrollment at Cizik School of Nursing is contingent upon successful completion of immunization screening; immigration status clearance; evidence of current Texas nursing licensure or for Post-Master’s applicants,evidence of nursing licensure in state of residence; documentation of BCLS, ACLS, or PALS certification; and clearance of the mandatory criminal background check and drug screening.
In order to more clearly reflect the Cizik School of Nursing's diversity within its educational environment, the School’s admission policy makes explicit the multiplicity of factors taken into consideration in the admissions process. These admission factors are not assigned a specific weight or point value. Cizik School of Nursing considers the totality of each application and gives consideration to several factors.
Essential Skills for Nursing
Nurses must be able to demonstrate cognitive skills in critical thinking and logical/analytical thinking. Nurses must also have psychomotor skills, including fine motor dexterity, physical strength, coordination, and proper body mechanics. Observational skills are also required, such as the ability to hear within the normal decibel range, the ability to read English in regular to extra-fine print, and the ability to palpate/auscultate. Students must be able to demonstrate these skills, with or without reasonable accommodation. See HOOP 101, Disability Accommodation (https://www.uth.edu/hoop/policy.htm?id=1448050).
- Admission Requirements
- BSN to DNP - Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Application Deadlines
- Deadlines (all programs)
- Admission Forms
- Application and Reference Forms
- Academic Information
- Program Outcomes
- Academic Catalog
- Current Semester Calendar
- Academic Success Center
- Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Tuition and Estimated Cost
- Financial Aid
- Specialized Programs for Nursing Students
- Residency Application
- Pacesetter BSN
- RN-Bridge (for ADN-prepared RNs)
- RN to BSN
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- MSN and Post-Graduate
- Adult/Gero Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult/Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency/Trauma Care (Post-Graduate only)
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Education
- Nursing Leadership
- Psychiatric Mental Health
- BSN to DNP
- Nurse Anesthesia
- Nurse Practitioner
- Doctoral and Post-Graduate (Advanced Practice)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Post-Graduate (Advanced Practice)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)