Minimum Admissions Requirements for the RN-MSN at Cizik School of Nursing
Per the regulations defining the amount of allowable online course credits, UTHealth is unable to sponsor RN-BSN students requiring an F-1 visa.
The requirements below apply to both the RN-FNP and RN-MSN in Nursing Leadership and Administration.
- Associate Degree in Nursing earned from an accredited program.
- Active RN license.
- 60 hours of nursing prerequisites. All prerequisites must have an earned grade of C or higher. To be considered for admission, a student must have earned at least 40 of the prerequisites at the time of application; 8 hours, of those 40 hours, must be from the science prerequisites of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, or Chemistry. Please note that if admission is offered all prerequisites must be completed prior to the start of the program.
- 3.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- 3.0 GPA or higher in the science prerequisites of Chemistry, Microbiology, and Anatomy and Physiology I and II.
- One year clinical experience as a registered nurse.
Required Application Materials:
- Online application and non-refundable $60.00 application fee.
- Official transcripts, printed within six months of receipt, from all post-secondary institutions attended. Electronic submission is preferred. Information on how to send electronic transcripts is available online.
- Three (3) academic/professional references.
- Professional curriculum vitae or resume.
- A course-by-course evaluation of international credentials by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for individuals with degrees/courses from outside the US.
Please sent applications materials to:
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
PO Box 20036
Houston, Texas 77225-0036
In order to more clearly reflect Cizik School of Nursing’s diversity within its educational environment, the School’s admission policy makes explicit the multiplicity of factors taken into consideration in the admissions process. These admission factors are not assigned a specific weight or point value. The School of Nursing considers the totality of each application and gives consideration to several factors.
Review and Notification
The School of Nursing’s Master's Council makes the final selection. Applicants will be evaluated on overall academic performance, performance in prerequisites and sciences courses. Notifications are updated and available first within the MyUTH application portal and then followed by email and mailed hard-copy letter.
If accepted, enrollment to the Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth is contingent upon successful completion of outstanding prerequisites (if any), immunization screening, immigration status clearance, Health Care Provider Basic Life Support CPR certification, clearance of the mandatory drug screening test and mandatory criminal background check. All applicants are encouraged to review the pre-enrollment policies in advance at
Essential Skills for Nursing
Nurses must be able to demonstrate cognitive skills in critical thinking and logical/analytical thinking. Nurses must also have psychomotor skills, including fine motor dexterity, physical strength, coordination, and proper body mechanics. Observational skills are also required, such as the ability to hear within the normal decibel range, the ability to read English in regular to extra-fine print, and the ability to palpate/auscultate.