The Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth students are required to have a personal laptop computer to access educational materials, reference material, and email for communication with faculty, staff, and other students. At this time, students are responsible for supporting their own computers and the recommended software and hardware components.
Minimum Computer Hardware Specifications
- Intel i5 Processor
- 4GB RAM, 8GB preferred
- DVD-ROM, either embedded or detached
- 128 GB hard drive storage minimum; 256 GB or greater hard drive storage is preferred
- Screen Size: 13” or bigger with resolution of at least 1024 x 768
- Laptops must be equipped with a web camera, microphone and speakers. Students also need to have headphones compatible with their system.
- Graphics Card: 512 MB minimum
- 100 MB/1 GB NIC and/or 802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network Card
- For onsite support, a working USB port is required (Newer devices may require an adapter)
- Operating System: Windows 7 or above (Only genuine, US English, French, Portuguese, Swedish, and British versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported)
- Administrator level account permissions (instructions can be found on the Examsoft support website)
Note: Apple Computers are not supported and may not be compatible with software, systems or resources utilized at the school.
- Microsoft Office - latest version (Microsoft Office is available at a substantially reduced price at the campus bookstore.)
- Adobe Reader (Version 9, 11, or DC) is required for exams containing PDF attachments
- Internet Web Browser: Various browsers may be required for different software packages used at the SON. We recommend installing the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
- Anti-Virus Software, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- A Personal Firewall Software/Internet Security package such as Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite, Trend Micro PC-cillin, Norton Internet Security, or Mcafee Internet Security, to protect the computer from unauthorized access via the Internet is suggested.
Internet Access at the SONSCC
On campus, wireless and wired Internet access is provided in common areas and in all classrooms. Desktop computers are available for use in the Student Computer Labs located on the third floor.