The Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth students are required to have a personal laptop computer to access educational materials, reference material, and email for communication with faculty, staff, and other students. At this time, students are responsible for supporting their own computers and the recommended software and hardware components.
Note: It is strongly recommended that students use Windows laptops. Tablets, Chromebooks, and Apple Computers are not supported and may not be compatible with software, systems or resources utilized at the school.
Minimum Computer Hardware Specifications
- Intel i5 Processor (or better)
- 8GB RAM (16GB or more preferred)
- 256 GB or greater hard drive storage
- Screen Size: 13” or bigger with resolution of at least 1024 x 768
- Laptops must be equipped with a web camera, microphone and speakers. Students also need to have headphones compatible with their system.
- Graphics Card: 512 MB minimum
- Intel 802.11ac (or better) Wi-Fi capability
- Operating System: Windows 10 or above (Only genuine, US English, French, Portuguese, Swedish, and British versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported)
- Students may be required to have a privacy screen for their laptop.
Administrator level account permissions (instructions can be found on the ExamSoft support website
- Microsoft Office - latest version or a 365 subscription https://office365.uth.edu/
- Adobe Reader (Version 9, 11, or DC) is required for exams containing PDF attachments
- Internet Web Browser: Various browsers may be required for different software packages used at the SON. We recommend installing the latest versions of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
- Windows Defender (Included with Windows 10)
- Discounted software available at https://uthealth.onthehub.com/
Please be aware that products in the technology world are constantly changing. Therefore, this requirement is evolving and will continue to evolve. You can expect it to change as the power, price and quality of computers change and as the needs of students in the school change. We make every effort to minimize the impact of changes in this requirement on our students.
Internet Access at the SONSCC
On campus, wireless Internet access is provided in common areas and in all classrooms. Desktop computers are available for use in the Student Computer Labs located on the third floor.