The Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth students are required to have a personal laptop computer to access educational materials, reference material, and email for communication with faculty, staff, and other students. At this time, students are responsible for supporting their own computers and the recommended software and hardware components.
Note: It is strongly recommended that students use Windows laptops. Tablets, Chromebooks, and Apple Computers are not supported and may not be compatible with software, systems or resources utilized at the school.
Minimum Computer Hardware Specifications
- Intel i5 Processor
- 4GB RAM, 8GB preferred
- DVD-ROM, either embedded or detached
- 128 GB hard drive storage minimum; 256 GB or greater hard drive storage is preferred
- Screen Size: 13” or bigger with resolution of at least 1024 x 768
- Laptops must be equipped with a web camera, microphone and speakers. Students also need to have headphones compatible with their system.
- Graphics Card: 512 MB minimum
- Wireless capability and the ability to connect to the internet via a wired connection (Ethernet). If the laptop does not natively have an Ethernet port, students must possess the correct adapters and network cable to use an Ethernet port
- For onsite support, a working USB port is required (Newer devices may require an adapter)
- Operating System: Windows 10 or above (Only genuine, US English, French, Portuguese, Swedish, and British versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported)
- Students may be required to have a privacy screen for their laptop, if so, on can be purchased from the 3M website: https://selector.3m.net/en_US/s
Administrator level account permissions (instructions can be found on the Examsoft support website
- Microsoft Office - latest version (Microsoft Office is available at a substantially reduced price at the campus bookstore.)
- Adobe Reader (Version 9, 11, or DC) is required for exams containing PDF attachments
- Internet Web Browser: Various browsers may be required for different software packages used at the SON. We recommend installing the latest versions of Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
- Anti-Virus Software, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- A Personal Firewall Software/Internet Security package such as Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite, Trend Micro PC-cillin, Norton Internet Security, or Mcafee Internet Security, to protect the computer from unauthorized access via the Internet is suggested.
Please be aware that products in the technology world are constantly changing. Therefore, this requirement is evolving and will continue to evolve. You can expect it to change as the power, price and quality of computers change and as the needs of students in the school change. We make every effort to minimize the impact of changes in this requirement on our students.
Internet Access at the SONSCC
On campus, wireless and wired Internet access is provided in common areas and in all classrooms. Desktop computers are available for use in the Student Computer Labs located on the third floor.