Graduate Education at UTHealth
Education at the master’s level prepares graduates to assume leadership roles in clinical practice, nursing administration and nursing education. Advanced nursing practice graduates are prepared for entry into the Doctoral of Nursing Practice (DNP) program, and all graduates are prepared for higher education in the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD) program.
Students pursuing the MSN will choose from one of six clinical tracks. Most programs offer a courses both online and face-to-face, allowing students flexibility with their busy schedules while maintaining a dynamic class experience that includes in-class time to demonstrate skills, dialogue with colleagues and receive mentorship and guidance from our highly regarded and recognized faculty. The curriculum structure depends on the clinical concentration the student selects.
Graduates of the advanced practice degrees are eligible to take national certification exams and eligible for licensure as an Advance Practice Nurse in Texas. Requirements for other states vary and graduates should check individual state requirements prior to applying for an advanced practice status or license.
The six tracks offered at Cizik School of Nursing are as follows:
|Nurse Practitioner Tracks||Systems Tracks|
Post-Graduate Education is available to masters-prepared students who wish to pursue education in another role or clinical specialty. Degree plans for post-graduate students are individualized according to the student’s educational needs, past course work, and certification according to school policies. Mechanisms for equivalency credit and validation of previous coursework are available.
Additional Enrollment Options
Enrollment Options by MSN Track
Full-time enrollment is limited in some MSN tracks. Prospective students are encouraged to consider their desired enrollment level prior to submitting the application for admission. Post-Graduate admission can be considered for every academic start.
|Family Nurse Practitioner|
|Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner|
|Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner - Primary Care|
|Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner - Acute Care|
The Master of Science in Nursing Program is designed to provide an opportunity for the student to develop as a leader. Graduates make significant contributions to the improvement of health care and influence health care policy through advanced clinical practice and research in order to meet the current needs of society.
Education at this level prepares both MSN and post-MSN students to assume leadership roles in clinical practice, nursing administration, and nursing education. Advanced nursing practice graduates are prepared for entry into doctoral education.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Nursing program will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of specialized knowledge and skills that will promote functioning in an advanced nursing role.
- Integrate nursing science with knowledge from ethics, informatics, and the biophysical, psychosocial, and organizational sciences into advanced nursing practice.
- Integrate best practices and evidence aimed at positively impacting health care to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Foster collaborative interprofessional relationships with other health professionals to promote delivery of safe, value-driven, and high quality health care.
- Utilize leadership skills in promoting health for individuals, groups, and communities of interest.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program, doctor of nursing practice program, and post graduate APRN certificate programs at the Cizik School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- Admission Requirements
- BSN to DNP - Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Application Deadlines
- Deadlines (all programs)
- Admission Forms
- Graduate Recommendation Form (MSN,Post-Graduate, BSN to DNP)
- Academic Information
- Academic Catalog
- Current Semester Calendar
- Academic Success Center
- Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Tuition and Estimated Cost
- Financial Aid
- Specialized Programs for Nursing Students
- Residency Application
- Pacesetter BSN
- RN-Bridge (for ADN-prepared RNs)
- RN to BSN
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Nursing Leadership and Administration
- MSN and Post-Graduate
- Adult/Gero Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult/Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency/Trauma Care (Post-Graduate only)
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Education
- Nursing Leadership
- Psychiatric Mental Health
- BSN to DNP
- Nurse Anesthesia
- Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)