Graduate Education at UTHealth
Education at the master’s level prepares graduates to assume leadership roles in clinical practice, nursing administration and nursing education. Advanced nursing practice graduates are prepared for entry into the Doctoral of Nursing Practice (DNP) program, and all graduates are prepared for higher education in the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD) program.
Students pursuing the MSN will choose from one of six clinical tracks. Most programs offer a courses both online and face-to-face, allowing students flexibility with their busy schedules while maintaining a dynamic class experience that includes in-class time to demonstrate skills, dialogue with colleagues and receive mentorship and guidance from our highly regarded and recognized faculty. The curriculum structure depends on the clinical concentration the student selects. The six clinical tracks are as follows:
|Nurse Practitioner Tracks||Systems Tracks|
Post-Master’s Education is available to masters-prepared students who wish to pursue education in another role or clinical specialty. Degree plans for post-master’s students are individualized according to the student’s educational needs, past course work, and certification according to school policies. Mechanisms for equivalency credit and validation of previous coursework are available.
Additional Enrollment Options
Enrollment Options by MSN Track
Full-time enrollment is limited in some MSN tracks. Prospective students are encouraged to consider their desired enrollment level prior to submitting the application for admission. Post-Master's admission can be considered for every academic start.
|Family Nurse Practitioner|
|Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner|
|Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner - Primary Care|
|Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner - Acute Care|
|Nursing Leadership and Administration|
The Master of Science in Nursing Program is designed to provide an opportunity for the student to develop as a leader. Graduates make significant contributions to the improvement of health care and influence health care policy through advanced clinical practice and research in order to meet the current needs of society.
Education at this level prepares both MSN and post-MSN students to assume leadership roles in clinical practice, nursing administration, and nursing education. Advanced nursing practice graduates are prepared for entry into doctoral education.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Nursing program will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of specialized knowledge and skills that will promote functioning in an advanced nursing role.
- Integrate nursing science with knowledge from ethics, informatics, and the biophysical, psychosocial, and organizational sciences into advanced nursing practice.
- Integrate best practices and evidence aimed at positively impacting health care to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Foster collaborative interprofessional relationships with other health professionals to promote delivery of safe, value-driven, and high quality health care.
- Utilize leadership skills in promoting health for individuals, groups, and communities of interest.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program, doctor of nursing practice program, and post graduate APRN certificate programs at the Cizik School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- Admission Requirements
- BSN to DNP - Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Application Deadlines
- Deadlines (all programs)
- Letter of Reference Forms
- MSN/Post-Master's/BSN to DNP-Nurse Practitioner (pdf)
- Academic Information
- Academic Catalog
- Catalog Addendum
- Current Semester Calendar
- Academic Success Center
- Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Tuition and Estimated Cost
- Financial Aid
- Specialized Programs for Nursing Students
- Residency Application
- Pacesetter BSN
- RN-Bridge (for ADN-prepared RNs)
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Nursing Leadership and Administration
- MSN and Post-Master's
- Adult/Gero Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult/Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency/Trauma Care (Post-Master's only)
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Education
- Nursing Leadership and Administration
- Psychiatric Mental Health
- BSN to DNP
- Nurse Anesthesia
- Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)