Where will you go
next in nursing?
No matter where you are on your nursing journey – or where you want to go – Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth Houston can help you achieve excellence. This short quiz will help you chart your path to success.
What is your current level of education and experience?
- I am a high-school student.
- I am currently an undergraduate at another college or university.
- I am an active-duty member or veteran of the U.S. Armed Services.
- I have a degree in a field other than nursing.
- I have an Associate's Degree and am a registered nurse.
- I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- I have a Master of Science in Nursing.
- I have a Doctor of Nursing Practice.
- I have a PhD in Nursing or related field.
Your first step will be completing the prerequisites necessary for admission to Cizik School of Nursing’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program.
You can start by:
- Take advanced-placement courses while still in high school.
- Apply to a two-year or four-year college or university to complete the required 60 hours of nursing prerequisites.
- Study hard! Cizik School of Nursing is highly competitive, and our graduates are highly sought after. A 3.0 GPA is the minimum required for admission, but since you will be competing against top students, a higher GPA is usually required for acceptance.
- When you have completed at least 48 prerequisite hours, including 16 hours of required science courses, apply to our 15-month Pacesetter BSN
- If you choose to complete a two-year Associate of Nursing degree and become an RN, you may apply to our RN to BSN program to earn your BSN and improve your career prospects.
Complete your prerequisites
Whether you are attending a two-year college or a four-year university, you can apply to earn your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from Houston’s top-rated nursing school once you have completed most of your prerequisites.
We offer two paths to receiving your BSN:
- The 15-month Pacesetter program for students seeking to become RNs.
- The RN to BSN program designed for nurses with Associate of Nursing degrees.
Prepare by studying hard! Cizik School of Nursing is highly competitive, and our graduates are highly sought after. A 3.0 GPA is the minimum required for admission, but since you will be competing against top students, a higher GPA is usually required for acceptance.
Find out more about admission requirements for the Pacesetter or RN to BSN program.
Transitioning to the civilian workforce
At Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth Houston, we often begin working with service members before they complete their military commitments. Our dedicated veteran case manager can help you prepare to apply to our Veterans Bachelor of Science in Nursing (VBSN) program. This undergraduate pathway to a career in nursing enables you to earn up to three hours of academic credit for the medical training and experience gained in the military.
Learn about the VBSN program and other resource, services, and opportunities available to veterans at UTHealth Houston.
A new career
Our 15-month Pacesetter BSN program attracts many second-career students who have earned degrees in other fields. This rigorous, fast-paced program will prepare you to take the licensure exam in three semesters and begin a new career of caring.
Your next steps:
- Check your transcripts to see whether you are missing any nursing prerequisites.
- Complete any missing courses as needed.
- Take the HESI A2 entrance exam.
Earn your BSN
Our flexible RN to BSN program is designed for working nurses and new ADN graduates. It includes online coursework and and in-person clinicals that provide opportunities to connect with faculty and get to know your classmates.
Learn more and apply today.