BSN to DNP Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
The sample curriculum below lists courses required for Cizik School of Nursing’s BSN to DNP Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Tracks. Once admitted, the student will be given a per-semester degree plan. Most nurse practitioner track courses are offered virtually with testing offered both remotely and on campus, based on the student’s preference. Lab classes may require days several on campus.
In addition to completing classes listed in the sample curricula below, Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) students compile a Clinical Scholarship Portfolio (CSP) composed of required components demonstrating clinical scholarship at the highest level of advanced practice. The CSP provides evidence of competency in all domains of DNP practice and includes a major DNP project, comprehensive case studies, and other examples of scholarly work related to the competencies outlined in the American Association of College of Nursing (AACN) Essentials.
- Course numbers ending in “W” denote courses that are web-based or mainly online that may require some on- campus class time.
- Course numbers ending in “B” denote courses that are clinical and include additional fees.
- Current students: Please refer to the academic catalog of the year when you started the program for degree requirements.
- For students who began the DNP program prior to the Fall 2022 semester, there are three scheduled N6830 CSP Advisement credits scheduled in the degree plan. However, a student may need to be enrolled in N6830 during other semesters depending on the need for assistance from the advisor for work on the DNP Project or other CSP components. The student and advisor will determine need to be enrolled in N6830 each semester.
- If a student has taken N6807 in their master’s program, it meets the requirement for the course in the DNP program.
Consult the catalog for course descriptions, methods of teaching, and prerequisites. Cizik School of Nursing and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston reserve the right to withdraw courses at any time, to change fees or tuition, calendar, curriculum, degree requirements, graduation procedures, and any other requirements affecting students. Changes will become effective whenever the proper authorities so determine and will apply to both prospective students and those already enrolled. Changes will be communicated when they occur.