The information on this page applies to the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Nursing Leadership and Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) tracks at Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth Houston.
- If you already have an MSN and would like to expand your skills and knowledge by completing a nondegree post-graduate program on either of these tracks, please see our post-graduate admission requirements.
- Students interested in becoming an FNP are encouraged to consider achieving their highest-level of nursing practice education through our Doctor of Nursing Practice program and may review the DNP admission requirements.
Please note: Per the regulations defining the number of allowable online course credits, UTHealth Houston is unable to sponsor students requiring an F-1 visa. Additionally, students admitted to Cizik School of Nursing must personally reside in the state of Texas before the first day of class.
Step 1: What you will need to apply
- A nonrefundable, $60 application fee.
- Official transcripts from each post-secondary institution you have attended. Electronic submission is preferred. Official transcripts may be sent directly from your post-secondary institutions to email@example.com. Transcripts will not be accepted if emailed from the student. Transcripts submitted on paper must be printed within six months of receipt and sealed in an envelope from the issuing institution.
- Three letters of academic/professional reference. The applicant letter of reference form should be provided your references.
- A curriculum vitae or résumé.
- If you have previous college coursework from another country, you must have coursework evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
Minimum admission requirements
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing earned from a nationally accredited program. Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of the BSN program.
- A completed basic statistics course.
- For Family Nurse Practitioner applications: At least one year of clinical experience as a registered nurse.
- An interview may be required of qualified applicants. All interviews are by invitation.
- Writing samples may be required at the time of an interview.
Step 2: Apply!
- Check the application deadlines for the spring and fall semesters.
- Complete online application for admission and submit the nonrefundable $60.00 application fee.
- Submit all required application materials to:
Office of the Registrar
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
PO Box 20036
Houston, Texas 77225-0036
Once an application is received, you will be assigned a seven-digit application ID and granted access to applyUTH, where you can track the status of your application materials. If you have questions about whether transcripts or documents have been received, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 713-500-3361.
Step 3: Admission decisions
Applications for the MSN program are reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. However, applicants are encouraged to apply before the deadline.
Cizik School of Nursing's admission policy describes multiple factors taken into consideration in the admissions process. These admission factors are not assigned a specific weight or point value. Cizik School of Nursing considers the totality of each application and considers each of these factors.
Once a decision is made, ApplyUTH is updated with the application status. If you are admitted, you will receive an email and a letter in the mail. If you are denied, you will receive a letter in the mail.
Please see the applications deadline page for approximate notification dates for prospective students.
Step 4: Pre-enrollment requirements for accepted students
If admitted, enrollment is contingent upon successful completion of immunization screening; immigration status clearance; documentation of an unencumbered Texas registered nurse license; documentation of BCLS, ACLS, or PALS certification; and clearance of the mandatory criminal background checks and drug screening.
Your American Heart Association Basic Life Support (AHA-BLS) for the Health Care Provider certification must be current before any clinical placement. You may choose to take the AHA-BLS through Cizik School of Nursing’s Simulation and Clinical Performance Laboratory.
Get all the details in our New Student Guide.
Essential Skills in Nursing
Nurses must be able to demonstrate cognitive skills in critical thinking and logical/analytical thinking. Nurses must also have psychomotor skills, including fine motor dexterity, physical strength, coordination, and proper body mechanics. Observational skills are also required, such as the ability to hear within the normal decibel range, the ability to read English in regular to extra-fine print, and the ability to palpate/auscultate. Students must be able to demonstrate these skills, with or without reasonable accommodation. See HOOP 101, Disability Accommodation.